College Dorm Room Essentials That All Freshman Will Need
Are you wondering what your freshman will need in their dorm room? We have had 5 teens head off to college, and my final senior is about to go in the fall. What are the college dorm room essentials that all freshman will need? Here is the breakdown of what your teen will need and why!
When it comes to dorm room shopping, if you are anything like us, you want to get it done as efficiently as possible. Our list of what is absolutely necessary and nothing more!
This post could also be called dorm room essentials Amazon because Amazon is a great place to shop for your dorm room!
Check out our Complete Dorm Shopping and Move In Organizer
**This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, see our full disclosure.
College Dorm Room Essentials For Organization
The main thing you are probably realizing is that dorm rooms are tiny! If you have visited any campuses, then you know what I am talking about! Space is at a premium. So, you need to be very thoughtful about your purchases. This post is broken down into areas of use for your convenience and covers What does every college student need?
Before you get started, you will need tools to get you from the car to the dorm room. There will be teams of upperclassmen to help with this process, but two things that have really helped us in this process are the Big Blue Moving Totes -4 Pk. and a Utility Wagon. Prepare yourself for a long, but really fun day!
College Dorm Room Essentials for Sleep
First and foremost, a dorm room is for sleeping. Here are the things you must have for sleeping to be comfortable. If you don’t have anything else in the room , bedding is number one on the list of freshman dorm room essentials!
- Mattress Topper -this can be key when thinking of your student’s comfort!
- Mattress Pad -just get one, let’s not even think about what is on that mattress.
- Bed In A Bag -easiest way to coordinate with little effort.
- Pillows -remember to get a couple of extra pillowcases too!
Some things that you might want for sleeping to even more comfortable:
- Bedside Caddy -this thing is so handy for all the “things” your student might want at their fingertips!
- Cozy Throw Blanket -can never have enough comfort.
- Clip On Lamp -this is so great for reading or studying on their bed or tipped towards a chair.
- Small Fan -for noise or a little stir of air.
College Dorm Room Essentials for Study
The next thing that you hope will happen in the dorm room or somewhere! is study. Here are the things you must have for studying to be comfortable:
- Comfy Dorm Room Chair -this is key for visiting or gaming.
- Dorm Room Desk Lamp -lighting is everything.
- Trash Can -don’t forget the trashbags!
- Charging Station With Surge Protector -they will have so many things to plug in…
- Laptop -Inexpensive -check with the college to see what they require, but unless in a specialized program it usually doesn’t matter.
- Laptop -Higher End
Some things that you might want for studying to even more comfortable:
- Desk Organizer -space is at a premium, so this is a great idea for all the loose items a student needs.
- Prop Up Reading Pillow -I lived on mine in college!
- White Board -more organization…
- White Board Markers -my boys used the basic 3 colors, but I love the rainbow pack.
- Prime Student 6 Month Trial -you cannot imagine how handy this membership is when they run out of things.
College Dorm Room Essentials for Self-Care
Grooming and personal maintenance will also need to occur. Some dorms are set up suite style with a bathroom right there next to the bedroom. Some are older, and your student will need to walk down the hall to the nearest bathroom. Either way, they will need to be organized. Here are the things you must have for self-care:
- Set Of Towels– all of these self-care items are must haves…
- Shower Tote
- Shower Shoes
- Laundry Hamper
- DormDoc -College Medical Kit
Some things that you might want to make self-care to even more comfortable:
- Makeup Organizer -again, this will help your student to have a place for everything
- Dop Kit -this is great for carrying bathroom items around, keeping them organized, and even for a weekend away!
- Mirror Tiles For Back-Of-Door -these are really cool and can be arranged however instead of messing with a full length mirror.
- The “Sick-Kit Lite” -another version of a kit for staying healthy.
College Dorm Room Essentials for Cleanliness
At some point, you hope that your teen will realize that their room is a dirty mess. There are a few items that are must have to make this job easier.
- Multi-Purpose Cleaner -hopefully, your student will occasionally clean…
- Small Trash Bags -and hopefully these will be used as well…
- Antibacterial Wipes -at the very least, maybe a wipe will be passed along a gross surface.🤢
- Room Deodorizer -never enought of this.
- Vacuum For Dorm Room -my boys actually told me they used their little vacuum, and some of their friends even borrowed for when a parent was visiting.
- Tide Pods -easier than powder or liquid detergent.
- Paper Towels -2 Pk. -always useful!
College Dorm Room Essentials for Eating
Students can have so many small appliances in their dorm rooms now that they can make snacks and meals without ever leaving the comfort of their room! Here is what you must have.
Some things that you might want to make eating to even more comfortable:
- Over The Fridge Caddy Organizer -so many things for the kitchen area that can be put away in this.
- Fridge Stand With Storage -great extra shelf for storage.
- Toaster -Single Slice -a little toast and butter for a late night snack…
College Dorm Room Essentials for General Organization (And Comfort)
This covers a lot of general storage ideas and tricks for utilizing every inch of the limited floorspace available. Here are some things you must have to get the room organized!
- Under Bed Storage -use every speck of space!
- Command Hooks Variety Pack -so many uses for these.
- Duck Nano Grab Gel Tape -this stuff is cool and super strong.
- Desk Organizer -great use of space for all the odds and ends
- 3 Tier Rolling Cart -this can be moved wherever and there are so many uses.
Some things that you might want to make the room more organized and even more comfortable:
- Area Rug -dorm rooms are notoriously cold, so for warmth as well as decor.
- Ottoman With Storage -great plae to put gaming devices, an extra Cozy Throw Blanket, or anything else!
- Bluetooth Speaker -always fun to jam.
- Dorm Safe -for money, meds, and jewelry…
- LED Strip Lights -just for fun!
College Dorm Room Essentials Make Life Easier!
The best way to be the best organized for this event is to contact the college and get the exact room measurements and what they will allow and NOT allow in a dorm room. Today’s kids are used to many conveniences and the more comfortable they are, the happier they will be.
But don’t overbuy. Your list of dorm room essentials for guys may be different than for your daughter.
Another tip is to stay in close contact with the future roommate and make sure that they are on the same page about dorm room decor.
Are you looking for help with the moving process? We have a new resource to share! *One thing to note that this service is not available on all campuses, but, I know this would be a great option if it’s available where your child will be going to college!
Dorm Room Movers “offers full-service moving, storage & shipping services for college students around the nation both on and off campus. They’ve served over 85,000 students at campuses across the country with storage and shipping solutions.”
College Dorm Room Essentials Related posts:
NPP Review of Mama Bear Legal Forms -if you have kids over the age of 18, please read!
We would love to stay in touch!
Be sure to see all of the Next Phase Parenting Resources on our Resources Page and subscribe to our Next Phase Parenting newsletter below for a weekly dose of love from us about surviving and thriving in your almost or already empty nest. Visit our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest and Instagram where we share lots of helpful info for parents with teens, young adults, our aging parents, and other issues that we experience in the sandwich generation! Thank you so much!❤️